Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Beans Beans....

Today was rather depressing...cold, rainy...uneventful!  So I decided to spice it up a little bit by making chili!  I usually start this process the night before or early in the morning, but I didn't have the urge until almost 4:30, so it didn't simmer as long as I like for it to, but it was great none the less.  I tweak this recipe pretty much every time I make it, so below are ust some general guidelines I use when preparing chili.  Enjoy!

Turkey Chili:
2 lbs Ground Turkey (I try to find the "leanest" turkey I can.  usually about 97%)
2 cans corn
2 cans stewed tomatoes
1 can black beans
1 can kidney beans
1 can navy beans
1 can butter beans (these are my favorite!!!!)
1 large can or 2 cans pinto beans
1 large can or 2 cans chili beans
3-4 stalks celery chopped
1 large white onion chopped
1/2 jalepeno or poblano pepper finely diced (chose depending on how spicy you want it...be daring and use a habenero!!)
3 tbs fresh minced garlic (I keep a jar in the fridge)
2 tbs honey
2tbs molasses
salt, pepper, chili powder, paprika, cayenne pepper, garlic salt, and onion powder to taste

Brown the turkey in water and drain.  Add to deep pot with spices beans, corn, and vegetables and cook on medium-high for 30 minutes.  Simmer all day (at least 2 hours) adding more spices, honey and molasses to taste. 
I like to serve my chili with cheese (I use soy cheese now), sour cream (tofutti makes a great dairy free sour cream), white vinegar, and hot sauce.  Corn bread goes well as a side, and I usually do a fruit to balance it all out.  Enjoy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment