Sunday, March 18, 2012

I DO like Green Eggs and Ham...I DO like them Sam I Am!

I LOVE St. Patty's Day!  It's probably my favorite holiday with the exception of the Religious ones(Easter and Christmas).  Green is my favorite color!  I love me some Irish music!  I love green beer... corned beef and cabbage (which is in the slow cooker right now for life group tonight).  I could eat Irish Soda bread all day long... but this St. Patty's Day I opted for a more kid friendly dinner fare.... Green Eggs and Ham!  And it was a hit.  I couldn't find our book to read before we made it, so I found a reading online.  It was spectatcular.  I'm sure there are a ton of different ways you could prepare it, but here is what I did.

Green Eggs:
I made them two ways: Scarambled and Fried.
To scramble the eggs just add a little bit of green food coloring, milk substitue of your choice, and cracked salt and pepper, whisk while cooking until firm enough for your taste. 
Fried:  I separated the whites and added the food coloring to them before frying. Then added the yoke on top with a little more green food coloring.  (This was pretty tedious, but it does look more like the eggs in the book!)

Green Ham:
I bough some ham off the bone, pre sliced and pre cooked.
Soak in water and green food coloring for about 20-30 minutes.  (If you don't separate the slices, only the edges will turn green).  Then heat a little oil in a frying pan.  Lay the ham down and sprinkle with salt and brown sugar.  Flip and repeat. 

I served this with sprite and a little more green food color....I can't wait to see the contents of Avery's diaper today:) 

Happy St. Patty's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment